optimal performance for inserts

From: Rini Dutta <rinid(at)rocketmail(dot)com>
To: Mitch Vincent <mitch(at)venux(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: optimal performance for inserts
Date: 2000-08-31 19:22:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Thanks for your suggestions, though I've already
considered most of them. (I have a detailed reply
below, interleaved with your mail).

I am considering an option but would need help from
somebody who knows how the backend works to be able to
figure out if any of the following options would help.
Consider the scenario of a database with say 3 tables,
and atleast 3 concurrent writers to all the tables
inserting different records. Which of the three
options would be expected to perform better ? (I am
using JDBC, I dont know if that is relevant)

1. Having a different Connection per writer
2. Having a different Connection per table
3. Having a single Connection which performs the 3
transactions sequentially.

I was trying out some tests to decide between option 1
& option 2 , but did not get any conclusive results.

Would be helpful to get some suggestions on the same.

Thanks,
Rini

--- Mitch Vincent <mitch(at)venux(dot)net> wrote:
> Removing indexes will speed up the INSERT portion
> but slow down the SELECT
> portion.
I cannot remove indexes since there may be other
queries to these tables at the same time when I am
doing the inserts.

> Just an FYI, you can INSERT into table (select
> whatever from another
> table) -- you could probably do what you need in a
> single query (but would
> also probably still have the speed problem).
I have not spent time on it but I could not figure out
how to have an insert statement such that one of the
attributes (only) is a result of a select from another
table. I would be interested in knowing if there is a
way to do that.

> Have you EXPLAINed the SELECT query to see if index
> scans are being used
> where possible?
Yes, the index scans are being used