Re: bits & the end of the world

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ian Turner <vectro(at)pipeline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bits & the end of the world
Date: 2000-08-28 03:32:37
Lists: pgsql-general

-- Start of PGP signed section.
> I just got everyone's favorite error message:
> FATAL 1: my bits moved right off the end of the world!
> Recreate index pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index.
>
> Except, of course, this is a system index.
>
> The query was:
>
> CREATE TEMP TABLE NextHopTemp (num integer,
> settled boolean,
> cost integer);
>
> Note also that this was inside a transaction.
>
> I am running postgresql 7.0.2 from the RPM. Any ideas? :o

I had this in my mailbox. Because it is a system index, you may be
stuck. You may need to use pg_upgrade. This will allow you to
re-create the tables, and move the data files back into place, fixing
the problem. If I remember correctly, you can try REINDEX, which is a
new command in 7.0.X for rebuilding system indexes in place.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us