User question

From: Patrick Aland <paland(at)stetson(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: User question
Date: 2000-08-17 12:20:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have started setting up phpPgAdmin and have come to the realization that I don't quite understand how postgres handles its user support.
I understand that the pg_passwd command is used for pg_hba.conf file and I'm fine with that. I guess the thing I am missing is the purpose of the password one can create before they do the pg_passwd by using createuser. What is that really used for. I couldn't seem to find anything in the admin documentation. Thanks.

--patrick