Re: ODBC reading ini files

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC reading ini files
Date: 2000-08-08 20:06:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 03:40:09PM -0400, Chris Ryan wrote:
> I noticed while trying to figure out a problem that
> GetPrivateProfileString(...) does it's string comparisons while reading
> the ini file "case sensitive". This actuall turned out to be the reason
> for my problem as the datasource was in the ini file as "postgresql" and
> the program was telling the odbc driver to read the datasource
> "POSTGRESQL" which it could not find cause it was doing the compares
> case sensitive.
>
> Is it written this way for a reason??? If not can it be changed to do a
> strncmp?

strncmp compares 'n' chars, rather than assuming null terminated. What your
looking for is strcasecmp. (Or stncasecmp)

> Also as a note: If you are trying to get PostgreSQL + Coldfusion working
> using the pgsql odbc driver make sure your datasource names are in all
> uppercase in .odbc.ini as Coldfusion always passes the datasource name
> in all caps.

Hmm, I use PostgreSQL and Coldfusion, and all my datasource names are
lowercase. Works fine. I'm not using the ODBC driver that comes with
PostgreSQL however: I'm using the UnixODBC driver (that comes with CF)
What's your platform and CF version? I'm using Linux for both the database
and CF.

The only gotcha for me has been that it won't talk to localhost, I need
to use the FQDN of the system.

Ross
--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer