Re: ODBC Benchmark

From: Mark Radulovich <radulovich(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Cedar Cox <cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Benchmark
Date: 2000-08-07 19:00:45
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

7.9 inserts per second is ok. I reran the test twice though, using IIS/ASP and
eight clients (all doing 200 inserts) with the page automatically reloading
every 60 second, and got 16.8 inserts per second. This is probably due to a
timing issue somewhere, because it significantly exceeds (doubles) the original
script that ran on one client. I ran this script over a 14 hour period and got
roughly 900,000 inserts.

Finally, I wanted to see where the load was. I ran a similar PHP script on the
Linux box that ran PG7, and got a whopping 52.4 inserts per second (10,000
inserts in 3.18 minutes).

So the results would suggest that either IIS/ASP, the ODBC driver, or the
network is the bottleneck. However, we run a switched 100Mbit network, so I am
pretty sure that it isn't the network. My guess is the PSQLODBC driver (
Insight Distribution Systems, version 6.50.00.00).

In any case, my test show one thing - PGSQL itself is NOT the limiting factor,
which was good news for me.

-Mark