ODBC Benchmark

From: Mark Radulovich <radulovich(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC Benchmark
Date: 2000-08-01 20:16:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Just in case anyone is interested, I benchmarked PG 7 and NT/IIS yesterday. I
ran an .ASP script that inserted 2000 rows using ODBC(one numeric column, one
varchar(50)) into a PG 7.0.2 database running on a Redhat Linux 6.2 computer.

I ran into a few small problems, but they mostly had to do with the script
reloading before finishing. I got roungly 600,000 inserts in a 21 hour period -
that works out to 7.9 inserts per second!! Hardware is as follows:

Machine 1: Machine 2:
P400 P400
128 MB RAM 128 MB RAM
NT 4 RH Linux 6.2
IIS 4 PostgreSQL 7.02
IE 5

Note that although this test is not entirely scientific, it does show what PG7
is capable of.

Enjoy,
Mark