Re: Now PostgreSQL recovers from errors within trns

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com
Subject: Re: Now PostgreSQL recovers from errors within trns
Date: 2000-07-31 18:08:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 02:30:40PM -0300, hstenger(at)adinet(dot)com(dot)uy wrote:

> Yup, but GeneXus is closed source, and PostgreSQL is open source. I'm trying to
> convince GeneXus' ARTech (www.genexus.com.uy) about the importance of supporting
> PostgreSQL. From the PostgreSQL point of view, if this has place someday,
> PostgreSQL will gain a lot of corporate users, and a whole new consulting field
> will be available. Do you understand my point?

As an aside, to the hackers (and Ned Lilly, in particular) This sort
of corporate evangalism is one avenue in which I could see BreatBridge
being very helpful to the PostgreSQL community. Find out what SQL CASE/CAD
what-have-you tools are in use in businesses out there, and work with the
tool makers to support PostgreSQL out-of-the-box. Existing end users (and
potential end users) need to make noise too, of course, but GreateBridge
would be in the position to credibly tell the tool builders how much
effort it might be to support pgsql. Heck, for the lower end of these
tools, they could package pgsql with the tool, to provide a working,
functional system, with an "upgrade" path to commericial systems.
A lot of those systems would just never find the need top upgrade,
would be my bet.

Hmm, a quick survey over on GENERAL might get a starter list of tools
to target. Myself, I've looked at Embarcadero Technology's "lifecycle"
tools: ER/Studio FastSQL, DBArtisan. They look interesting, and sort of
work with the ODBC driver, but could use some tweaking to unserstand a
pgsql installion better.

http://www.embarcadero.com/

Another, not quite the same category, but interesting, one is a
replication/remote access layer we looked at about a year ago: ISG
Navigator. Hmm, seems to have been renamed to AttunityConnect. That one
was very flexible: could be tuned by editing a config file with various
'features' flags.

http://www.attunity.com/

Ross
--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer