Re: users and passwords problem

From: R D <mrk279(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Denis Pugnere <Denis(dot)Pugnere(at)igh(dot)cnrs(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: users and passwords problem
Date: 2000-07-14 06:48:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

--- Denis Pugnere <Denis(dot)Pugnere(at)igh(dot)cnrs(dot)fr> wrote:

> PG 7.0.2, RH Linux 6.2
>
> I'm trying to secure access to pgsql databases.
> the politic I use is to only allow access databases
> with passwords.
>
> for this, I use in pg_hba.conf :
> local all password
> host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 password

> Why this access is allowed ?

You can modify pg_hba.conf in order to allow or deny
access to some users to the definite DBs using
external password file ( read the manual for details).
I think that this method is clumsy, but there is no
other way to do this in PostgreSQL and i think this
should be completely redone.There is another problem:
unfortunately you can't deny cteating of tables in the
allowed DBs (This will be fixed in 7.1 according to
TODO list).

regards,
Rumen