Re: Subject: IIS4 ODBC LOGGING TO POSTGRES - CRASH HELP :)

From: Mark Radulovich <radulovich(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Subject: IIS4 ODBC LOGGING TO POSTGRES - CRASH HELP :)
Date: 2000-07-12 18:05:56
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Jonathan,

I think you would see improved performance and stability if you dump the IIS
log to a regular file (the default setting) and then run a nightly process to
dump the old files to the database.

This has the advantage of being more reliable (fewer points of failure) and
also faster, since the speed of logging affects the web server speed.

-Mark Radulovich

=================
Jonathan Marchand writes:

Hi there,

Anyone has experience with IIS4 (SP6a) and ODBC logging for websites? I'm
logging about 150 websites to an SQL (postgres/linux) database thru ODBC.
But for some reasons, IIS sometimes crash. I get a Dr. Watson screen and it
just tells me that inetinfo has died.

I get some very strange errors in event viewer too. I get:

IIS ODBC Logging failed to log data to data source iis_logging.

many many times :) and sometimes it just resumes:

IIS ODBC Logging resumed logging to data source iis_logging.

But the thing is that I did not stop my SQL server in the meantime. I really
can't find what is the problem. And it is the only thing I found out that
might cause IIS to hang. I checked on the linux box, and I have lots of
postgres process doing nothing... They were started at the exact same
time I get the errors in Event Viewer. I just kill them from time to time.
(making a script to do so now)

The SQL server is on the same 100mb ethernet segment. The connectivity
between the hosts is just fine. And basically, the SQL just does that: iis
logging :)

I think this might be a problem with the ODBC driver on the NT box. I've
been told that the ODBC driver runs into the same memory space as IIS. I'm
running version 6.50.0000 of the ODBC driver.

I'd like to be able to supply more informations (traces, memory dumps or
whatever),
if you can provide me with some instructions on how to do these, I'll do it :)

So please, if you have any workaround for this, I'd appreciate your input :)
Or maybe, just a hint :) ODBC logging works really nice other than that, we
wrote a set of scripts that generate stats from the logs etc :)

Regards,

Jonathan Marchand
Network Administrator
WebNet Inc. - ISP