Re: Re: postgres TODO

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: postgres TODO
Date: 2000-07-12 09:05:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Philip's INSERT ... RETURNING idea could support returning TID and
> table OID as a special case, and it has the saving grace that it
> won't affect apps that don't use it...

I like that one alot more too. It should be relatively easy
to add a list of attributes (specified after RETURNING) to
the querytree. Then send out a regular result set of tuples
built from the requested attributes of the new tuple (at
INSERT/UPDATE) or the old one (at DELETE) during the executor
run. Or maybe both and specified as NEW.attname vs.
OLD.attnam? Then it needs AS too, making the attribute list
looking like a targetlist restricted to Var nodes.

This doesn't require any changes in the FE/BE protocol. And a
client using this new feature just expects TUPLES_OK instead
of COMMAND_OK when using the new functionality.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #