Re: postgres 7.2 features.

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres 7.2 features.
Date: 2000-07-11 04:19:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The bottom line is that the original postgres time-travel implementation
> was totally cost-free. Actually it may have even speeded things
> up since vacuum would have less work to do. Can you convince me that
> triggers can compare anywhere near for performance? I can't see how.
> All I'm asking is don't damage anything that is in postgres now that
> is relevant to time-travel in your quest for WAL....

Basically, time travel was getting in the way of more requested features
that had to be added. Keeping it around has a cost, and no one felt the
cost was worth the benefit. You may disagree, but at the time, that was
the consensus, and I assume it still is.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us