2nd update on TOAST

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 2nd update on TOAST
Date: 2000-07-05 20:01:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Uh oh -

on one side I'm a happy camper. pg_dump already ignored pg_*
tables and since the TOAST tables are named pg_toast_...,
nothing to be done. I loaded my test DB with TOAST entries,
dumped and restored it. Anything is there, works perfectly.

But then I added the ALTER TABLE for unlimited rewrite rule
size to initdb and the problems started. I can create a table
with 500+ attributes. Also I can create a view on it (the
rules size is 170K - whow). Anything works pretty well, just
a pg_dump output is garbage.

Seems the dynamic string buffers used in pg_dump aren't as
bullet proof as they should. I'm still busy with other
things, so can someone please take a look on it? Attached is
an SQL script that creates the table and the view that I
cannot dump.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #

Attachment Content-Type Size