Re: Which procedural language to use for functions.

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: "Saltsgaver, Scott" <scottsa(at)aiinet(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-Sql \\(E-mail\\)" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Which procedural language to use for functions.
Date: 2000-07-01 09:03:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

Saltsgaver, Scott wrote:
> Which procedural language is best for writing PostgreSQL functions:
> 'PL/pgSQL', 'PL/perl', or 'PL/Tcl'?
>
> I know that I can't do table creates in 'PL/pgSQL'?
>
> Is there an obvious choice as far speed and size?

PL/Tcl has the advantage that it can do the table creates you
want. OTOH if your frontend app is written in Perl, it's not
that likely that one of the app programmers easily
understands a function.

I have no benchmarking information between the procedural
languages. If that's really an issue, write your functions
and triggers in C.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #