Re: retrieving a serial number

From: philip(at)adhesivemedia(dot)com (Philip Hallstrom)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: retrieving a serial number
Date: 2000-06-28 18:13:32
Lists: pgsql-sql

There's probably a way to get that serial number.
I think I remember reading that when you specify it as SERIAL,
postgresql actually creates a separate sequence. If that's the case
then you could do "SELECT currval('mysequence')" -- although I'm not
sure what "mysequence" should be set to.
The other way to do it would be to remove the SERIAL attribute from the
table, making it an INT4 (or whatever) and then create a separate
sequence...so...
SELECT nextval('mysequence');
insert into master... (using the value returned from above)
insert into slave... (using the value returned from above)
insert into slave... (using the value returned from above)
insert into slave... (using the value returned from above)
insert into slave... (using the value returned from above)
would work just fine.