Re: NOTICES about portals

From: Brook Milligan <brook(at)biology(dot)nmsu(dot)edu>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NOTICES about portals
Date: 2000-06-22 23:12:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Brook Milligan <brook(at)biology(dot)nmsu(dot)edu> writes:
> Can anyone explain the meaning of the following NOTICE:
> NOTICE: trying to delete portal name that does not exist.
> Does this indicate a bug in the backend code somewhere?

Probably. Can you exhibit a command sequence that causes it?
(You might try turning on a higher debug level to get the backend
to log the commands pgaccess sends...)

Well, I'm working on it. I now have something in psql that emits this
NOTICE:. Things like the following do it at the time of commiting the
transaction:

begin;
declare mycursor cursor for select * from some_view;
fetch 10 in mycursor;
end;

The catch is that it doesn't happen with all views. I'm trying to
figure out what types of views it does happen on, though. So far, it
looks like views of one table or views of a join between 2 tables are
fine; whereas views of a join between a table and view might trigger
the NOTICE.

Unfortunately, this is all in the context of a rather complex
database. I'm still trying to extract a sufficient and simple
example.

Hopefully, this information may trigger some ideas in the meantime.

BTW, what version are you running? I have a vague recollection
of having fixed something in that area recently, but it might be
post-7.0.

I'm running 7.0.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,