Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-21 16:40:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> >> Well, that opens up a completely different issue, which is what about
> >> moving tables from one tablespace to another?
>
> > Are you suggesting that doing dbname/locname is somehow harder to do
> > that? If you are, I don't understand why.
>
> It doesn't make it harder, but it still seems pointless to have the
> extra directory level. Bear in mind that if we go with all-OID
> filenames then you're not going to be looking at "loc1" and "loc2"
> anyway, but at "5938171" and "8583727". It's not much of a convenience
> to the admin to see that, so we might as well save a level of directory
> lookup.

Just seems easier to have stuff segregates into separate per-db
directories for clarity. Also, as directories get bigger, finding a
specific file in there becomes harder. Putting 10 databases all in the
same directory seems bad in this regard.

> > The general issue of moving tables between tablespaces can be done from
> > in the database. I don't think it is reasonable to shut down the db to
> > do that. However, I can see moving tablespaces to different symlinked
> > locations may require a shutdown.
>
> Only if you insist on doing it outside the database using filesystem
> tools. Another way is to create a new tablespace in the desired new
> location, then move the tables one-by-one to that new tablespace.
>
> I suppose either one might be preferable depending on your access
> patterns --- locking your most critical tables while they're being moved
> might be as bad as a total shutdown.

Seems we are better having the directory be a symlink so we don't have
symlink overhead for every file open. Also, symlinks when removed just
remove symlink and not the file. I don't think we want to be using
symlinks for tables if we can avoid it.