Re: Lock record

From: Andrew Sullivan <sullivana(at)bpl(dot)on(dot)ca>
To: user Postgresql ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lock record
Date: 2000-06-15 18:38:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 08:08:50PM +0200, Jurgen Defurne wrote:

> Then user A inhibits user B from going further until transaction A has been
> completed. If this person goes for a coffee, then transaction B will also be
> held
> up indefinitely.

[. . .]

> of the needed data. Further functionality of locks included always the
> possibility
> of specifying a time-out and getting the name of the user who currently holds
> the lock.

In my pg_options file, I have the ability to time out deadlocks like you
describe. The file should be located at $PGDATA/pg_options. See below:

# deadlock timeout; set this to a non-zero integer, which is the number
# of seconds that the backend should wait before deciding that it is in
# a deadlock and timing out. The system default is 1 second.

deadlock_timeout = [insert your value here]

--
Andrew Sullivan Computer Services
<sullivana(at)bpl(dot)on(dot)ca> Burlington Public Library