Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-14 23:13:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> > > I suggest that DROP TABLE in a transaction should not be allowed.
> >
> > I had actually made it do that for a short time early this year,
> > and was shouted down. On reflection I have to agree; it's too useful
> > to be able to do
> >
> > begin;
> > drop table foo;
> > create table foo(new schema);
> > end;
> >
> > You do indeed lose big if you suffer an error partway through, but
> > the answer to that is to fix our file naming conventions so that we
> > can support rollback of drop table.
>
> Belongs IMHO to the discussion to keep separate what is
> separate (having indices/toast-relations/etc. in separate
> directories and whatnot).
>
> I've never been really happy with the file naming
> conventions. The need of a filesystem entry to have the same
> name of the DB object that is associated with it isn't right.
> I know, some people love to be able to easily identify the
> files with ls(1). OTOH what is that good for?

Well, I have no problem just appending some serial number to the end of
our existing names. That solves both purposes, no? Seems Vadim is
going to have a new storage manager in 7.2 anyway.

If/when we lose file name/object mapping, we will have to write
command-line utilities to report the mappings so people can do
administration properly. It certainly makes it hard for administrators.

> Well, someone can easily see how big the disk footprint of
> his data is. Whow - what an info. Anything else?
>
> Why not changing the naming to be something like this:
>
> <dbroot>/catalog_tables/pg_...
> <dbroot>/catalog_index/pg_...
> <dbroot>/user_tables/oid_...
> <dbroot>/user_index/oid_...
> <dbroot>/temp_tables/oid_...
> <dbroot>/temp_index/oid_...
> <dbroot>/toast_tables/oid_...
> <dbroot>/toast_index/oid_...
> <dbroot>/whatnot_???/...
>
> This way, it would be much easier to separate all the
> different object types to different physical media. We would
> loose some transparency, but I've allways wondered what
> people USE that for (except for just wanna know). For
> convinience we could implement another little utility that
> tells the object size like

Yes, we could do that.

> DESCRIBE TABLE/VIEW/whatnot <object-name>
>
> that returns the physical location and storage details of the
> object. And psql could use it to print this info additional
> on the \d commands. Would give unprivileged users access to
> this info, so be it, it's not a security issue IMHO.

You need something that works from the command line, and something that
works if PostgreSQL is not running. How would you restore one file from
a tape. I guess you could bring back the whole thing, then do the
query, and move the proper table file back in, but that is a pain.