Re: Patch for 'Not to stuff everything as files in a single directory, hash dirs''

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Denis Perchine <dyp(at)perchine(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch for 'Not to stuff everything as files in a single directory, hash dirs''
Date: 2000-06-12 23:06:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Seems the whole large object per file is going away in 7.1. Can someone
> confirm this?

Not the whole one in 7.1.

The TOAST stuff will lower the need for large objects alot,
but we already discovered the fact that it isn't a real
answer to LARGE objects.

First of all, the entire datum must be properly quoted to fit
into a querystring. Therefore the client needs to have the
original datum, the qouted copy, the querystring it built.
Then the querystring is sent to the backend, parsed (where a
CONST node is built from it), copied into a tuple to be split
up into TOAST items.

So on a central system, where client and DB are both running,
we have 6 copies of the object in memory! Not that optimal.

For 7.2 I'll work on real CLOB and BLOB data types. Requires
some more thinking though.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #