Is it possible to "truncate" a LOB?

From: Stephen Crawley <crawley(at)dstc(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is it possible to "truncate" a LOB?
Date: 2000-06-08 23:29:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

[I asked this question on the "interfaces" list, but nobody answered ...]

Suppose that I have created a LOB, written a bunch of data to it, and
committed.

Is it now possible to rewrite the LOB to contain a lesser amount of data?
In other words can I do the equivalent of UNIX open(..., O_WRONLY | O_TRUNC)
or ftruncate(...) on a LOB?

Or am I forced to delete the existing LOB and create a new one if I want
to shrink the size of the stored data?

-- Steve