Re: Postgresql usage clip.

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: John Steele <jsteele(at)writeme(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql usage clip.
Date: 2000-05-30 11:28:09
Lists: pgsql-general

John Steele wrote:
> IMO, having a 'toy' server during development on a win9x platform would be really nice. Coming from a MySQL/PHP background, it sure is nice to take the laptop out on a nice day and be able to develop 'real' applications that are then moved to a real server platform.

What kind of LAPTOP do you mean? Wouldn't a slightly bigger
disk let you install NT or Win2K as alternate boot to have at
least something worth installing development tools at all?

> I just tried the latest NT port binaries, hoping that I could at least start up the server process. Even an extremely limited server on this platform would be welcome. Sometimes you don't get to choose your development OS :(

If a piece doesn't fit, don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

Postgres needs some functionality from the OS. Seems Win9x
doesn't provide all that, but mucking around with
requirements of Postgres is the wrong way here. Especially
since Win9x was already dead when born, only that Microsoft
keeps it in some zombie state until they have something
better. Seems Win2K is - so I think it's wasted efford to
hack Win9x support into Postgres.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #