POSTGRESQL and PERL?

From: Peter Landis <ntwebdeveloper(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: POSTGRESQL and PERL?
Date: 2000-05-26 15:58:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi-
I'm a newbie at postgresql and was working on
sorting by category. What my question is, how do you
sort by category when using a variable. For instance,
you can sort by name in perl by doing:

$sqh = $dbh->prepare(q{select name from company order
by name;});
$sqh->execute();

but what if you have a variable set like:
$sort_selection = "name";

How do you sort by the variable?

For instance you cannot do:
$sqh = $dbh->prepare(q{select name from company order
by ?;});
$sqh->execute($sort_selection);

OR

$sqh = $dbh->prepare(q{select name from company order
by $sort_selection;});
$sqh->execute();

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!