Re: [HACKERS] Re: MySQL crashme test and PostgreSQL

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Matthias Urlichs <smurf(at)noris(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, monty(at)mysql(dot)com, sinisia(at)mysql(dot)com
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: MySQL crashme test and PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-05-21 17:49:45
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Hi,
>
> Bruce Momjian:
> > Also, I have heard about the hit squads attacking MySQL. I never
> > condone inaccuracy or attacks, but I can understand why it is happening.
> >
> You _are_ doing your side of the story a disservice, you know that?

Hey, I am not saying I like it happening. All I am saying is that I can
understand why it is happening. Certainly MSSQL and Oracle are the real
products we need to compete against.

> > For years, I believe the deceptiveness of the MySQL crashme test has
> > hampered acceptance of PostgreSQL. And our response was to just reply
> > with our opinion when asked about it.
>
> Yeah, I can see that.
>
> Let me tell you up front that your opinion is not at all helpful to
> either the cause of PostgreSQL or to the problems between you and the
> MySQL people, especially when stated like this.
>

> This is the Internet. The right thing to do if somebody spreads bad
> information (a biased, inaccurate, wrong, deceptive, what-have-you)
> crash-me test would be to write your own test which either prefers
> PostgreSQL, or is reasonably neutral.

We have better things to do than compete against deceptive tests. We
just work to make are our product better and better. Making another
crashme test is not going to make PostgreSQL a better piece of software.