Re: Berkeley DB license

From: "Michael A(dot) Olson" <mao(at)sleepycat(dot)com>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Berkeley DB license
Date: 2000-05-16 14:44:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 12:28 AM 5/17/00 +1000, you wrote:

> Just to clarify - if I take PostgreSQL, make a few minor changes to create
> a commercial product called Boastgress, your proposed license would allow
> the distribution of binaries for the new product without further
> interaction, payments, or licensing from Sleepycat?

Correct.

> Similaryly, if changes were made to BDB, I would not have to send those
> changes to you, nor would I have to make the source available?

Also correct. However, the license would only permit redistribution of
the Berkeley DB software embedded in the PostgreSQL engine or the
derivative product that the proprietary vendor distributes. The
vendor would not be permitted to extract Berkeley DB from PostgreSQL
and distribute it separately, as part of some other product offering
or as a standalone embedded database engine.

The intent here is to clear the way for use of Berkeley DB in PostgreSQL,
but not to apply PostgreSQL's license to Berkeley DB for other uses.

mike