Re: Why Not MySQL?

From: Marten Feldtmann <marten(at)feki(dot)toppoint(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mitch Vincent <mitch(at)huntsvilleal(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why Not MySQL?
Date: 2000-05-03 17:57:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)huntsvilleal(dot)com> writes:
>
> Well, there's still a cost to having a lot of seldom-used indexes,
> because the planner has to sit there and consider whether to use each
> one for each query. So I'd still recommend looking at your mix of
> queries and only creating indexes that match reasonably commonly-used
> WHERE clauses.

When doing insert/updates on larger tables (>500.000 entries) these
indexes are also time consuming !

For our vertical attribute object storage systems we noticed, that
the time for insert/updates are the critical part - they behave very
linear in our test suite and they seem to be the limiting factor in
our system.

Marten