Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Peter Mount (Home)" <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status
Date: 2000-05-02 11:40:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> > Not to bug you Peter, but 7.0 may not wait three days before release.
>
> I would vote that this is important enough that it should wait, but no
> one has raised the issue until now so we haven't discussed it. The
> docs may or may not be completed within the next day (still jet-lagged
> from vacation, but waking up at 3am does leave some extra time in the
> morning, eh?), and if they stretch an extra day which is certainly
> possible then we are only talking about an extra day for this. No big
> deal in the grand scheme of things...
>
> Peter, is there some testing that could/should be done with the new
> driver (by others) in the meantime, or is it pretty likely to be
> reasonably hashed out?

Just to add to my earlier report, here is the kaffe 1.05 compile
failure. What strikes me as odd is that Connection.java complains
because it can't find org/postgresql/Field, but if I try to compile
Field.java complains it can't find Connection.java.

Now, having the 6.5.3 JAR file, I can compile the 6.5.3 postgresql java
driver because I have the jar file to back up the unreferenced symbols.
The 7.0 driver uses org.postgresql, which is not in the 6.5.3 JAR file,
so it fails.

The java IRC channel says kaffe isn't very good, so maybe I shouldn't be
worried about it. They also said mutually-referencing java files are
not a good either.

Seems I may be able to modify the import lines in the java file to use
the 6.5.3 JAR file to get enough files compiled to compile the rest,
then recompile the entire thing.

Using the jar file compiled with Sun java works fine. I can connect to
the database and run my program.

#$ gmake jdbc2
(echo "package org.postgresql;" ;\
echo "public class DriverClass {" ;\
echo "public static String connectClass=\"org.postgresql.jdbc2.Connection\";" ;\
echo "}" \
) >org/postgresql/DriverClass.java
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/var/local/src/pgsql/CURRENT/pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc'
javac -g org/postgresql/DriverClass.java
javac -g org/postgresql/Connection.java
org/postgresql/Connection.java:1: Can''t find class "org/postgresql/Field" 8
org/postgresql/Connection.java:529: Can''t find class "Fastpath" 8
gmake[1]: *** [org/postgresql/Connection.class] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/local/src/pgsql/CURRENT/pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc'
gmake: *** [jdbc2] Error 2