"Slow" replication/updates/??

From: Titus Brown <titus(at)caltech(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: "Slow" replication/updates/??
Date: 2000-04-28 06:48:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm interested in evaluating PostgreSQL for a large (multi-site) genome
project, for which we would probably limit DB write-access to a single
site. We would like to have a fairly automatic daily update system in
place, however, where new elements in the database are distributed to
the other sites.

(This will likely be an archival database, which would help significantly.)

Is there any support for this in PostgreSQL, or way of wedging such support
into PostgreSQL? I'm not even sure what to call it ;).

"Real" replication is serious overkill and would be a waste of network
bandwidth & processor time, at least in the context of this project.

thanks,
--titus
--
Titus Brown, titus(at)caltech(dot)edu