Re: initdb crash after install

From: Tucker I Sylvestro <tsyl1(at)MIT(dot)EDU>
To: "Jim Buckley" <buckley(at)engr(dot)orst(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb crash after install
Date: 2000-04-25 03:09:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Did you do an install from source? If so, I had a problem similar to
this when installing on 6.5.3 on RH6.0. The postgres install script
doesn't clean out the old binaries from /usr/bin, and setting your
path as listed in the installation instructions puts the newly created
binaries directory after /usr/bin. The result is confusion and chaos
as the different versions of data and code are unable to understand
each other. My solution was to copy all the new binaries into
/usr/bin and re-run initdb, but setting the path so the new binaries
are located first would also probably work.

My problem was different, so I can't guarantee this is the answer.
initdb worked for me, but pg_dump gave me a "couldn't find any
tables!" error. It sounds to me like these both might be a similar
case of mismatched versions living on the same system though.

Tucker