initdb crash after install

From: "Jim Buckley" <buckley(at)engr(dot)orst(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: initdb crash after install
Date: 2000-04-25 02:53:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Greetings.

I have read many of the questions concerning this issue. I
too have installed PostgreSQL 6.5.3 faithfully following the
instructions in the INSTALL file. The initdb crashes with
the following error:

ERROR: pg_atoi: error in "template1": can't parse
"template1"

In my reading of the question archive, I see the solution
seems to be to clean out all the old templates. We did a
fresh install of Redhat 6.2 in a CS class, and it must
automatically install postgres because postgres was already
present on the system.

My question is: How does one find all the old libraries and
clean them out?

Thanks for your time,

Jim Buckley,
CS Student,