Re: Threaded Records in SQL: Advice Needed

From: "Patrick Giagnocavo" <a222(at)redrose(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Threaded Records in SQL: Advice Needed
Date: 2000-04-10 18:25:39
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm planning to implement a project using a php/postgres 6.5.3 combination.
>
> Part of what I need to do is develop a model in SQL to keep track of
> "threaded records." What I mean by this, is that I need to keep track of
> parent-child relationships in exactly the same way that a
> threaded-discussion group does.

Hi Bryan

check out the PDF files at

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Graeme_Birchall/HTM_COOK.HTM

The "SQL Cookbook" that this guy writes is oriented towards IBM's DB2
database, however, he does talk about a number of different ways of handling
parent-child relationships in an SQL table; his versions are able to be
nested as well.

Actually, this guy seems to know his stuff when it comes to SQL, so it is
probably worth having a look at anyways...thus I have also posted this
response to the list.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
a222(at)redrose(dot)net