Re: What Tcl versions to support (was Re: -lists command for pg_result)

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David N(dot) Welton" <davidw(at)linuxcare(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, olly(at)linda(dot)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: What Tcl versions to support (was Re: -lists command for pg_result)
Date: 2000-03-30 21:43:32
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:
>"David N. Welton" <davidw(at)linuxcare(dot)com> writes:
>> Personally, I would vote for overhauling it, and going to 8.2
>> features, or at least 8.0, as even that is a year or two old. There
>> is a lot of baggage that could probably be cleaned up.

Please be aware that there is a major problem with 8.2 and PostgreSQL's
multibyte encoding; 8.2 handles everything in Unicode internally, and strings
need to be translated as they go into and out of Tcl. For this reason, I
have an explicit dependency on 8.0 for the Debian package of PostgreSQL.

(See the Debian bugs database for more details of this problem.)

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver