Re: [GENERAL] FOREIGN KEY syntax

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, olly(at)linda(dot)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] FOREIGN KEY syntax
Date: 2000-03-03 21:54:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrzej Mazurkiewicz wrote:
>> And what is MATCH FULL?
> [Andrzej Mazurkiewicz] I would not like to speculate perhaps
>somebody else knows exact answer.

MATCH FULL:
Either all referencing columns must be null, or all must have values.

MATCH PARTIAL:
"if any columns are non-null, there must be at least one row in the
referenced table that could satisfy the constraint if the other null
values were correctly substituted."
(The SQL Standard Handbook, Cannan & Otten)
--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver