Re: [INTERFACES] Pgaccess - Error trying to connect

From: "Don Oliver" <dayo_nanaimo(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Pgaccess - Error trying to connect
Date: 2000-03-01 16:20:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

>Ed Loehr wrote>
>May I suggest you search deja.com for your error message?

been there, done that :-)

>If that fails, you might post your error message on the mailing list and
>see
>what people say. Probably others struggled with the same and would
>benefit from a solution...

I thought that I did explain above, but I'll start over here. Maybe I wasn't
clear.
I'll list every step. Please excuse the length, but I'm going around in
circles here.

I am logged into linux as user "don".
I have PostgreSQL permissions to create databases.

I have a database named "don", and I have created and populated tables in
this database.
PostgreSQL is always on, and works fine from the command line. (A console in
X.)

If I try to start pgaccess with: "pgaccess don", the main PgAccess window
comes up,
(empty) but there is an error message box in front of it. The message is:

"Error trying to connect to database "don" on host localhost.
PostgreSQL error message: Connection to database failed:
Network is unreachable. is the postmaster running (with -i) at
'localhost' and accepting connections on TCP/IP port '5432'?"

In the PgAccess file there is a page called "Common Problems with PgAccess"
The first one is called "Connection Failure", which says:
"one of the most common initial problems is the message:"
(then repeats exactly the message that I just listed).

It goes on to say, "This usually occurs because the "postmaster" (the
postgreSQL backend)
was not started with the -i option. Usually just adding -i to the command
line that starts
the postmaster and restarting will fix this."

So I did:
$su
# /etc/rc.d/init.d.postgresql stop
(it stops)
# /etc/rc.d/init.d.postgresql start -i
$ pgaccess don

I still get the same error

It then goes on to say, "If you have installed the prewritten script to
start postgreSQL
automatically, this option is (currently) commented out:
# PGOPTS="-i"
just remove the hash and space and comment out the "blank" option above.
PGOPTS="".

This line did not exist in the startup script, so I added it. PGOPTS=-i

Still the same error.

I can not find any other clues, so I'm stuck, and hoping someone will have
another idea.

TIA,
Don

Sorry Ed, I meant to send this to the list, then realized that I was
replying to you. I'm re-sending it to the list. Don

Don Oliver
dayo_nanaimo(at)hotmail(dot)com