First experiences with Postgresql 7.0

From: Rolf Grossmann <grossman(at)securitas(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: First experiences with Postgresql 7.0
Date: 2000-02-23 14:30:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name : Rolf Grossmann
Your email address : grossman(at)securitas(dot)net

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture (example: Intel Pentium) : AMD-K6 300

Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) : FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE

PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.5.1): PostgreSQL-7.0beta1

Compiler used (example: gcc 2.8.0) : gcc 2.95

First I'd like to say that I'm really impressed with the quality of this
first beta release. Still, when I was trying to set up my old database,
I ran into a bit of a problem: I couldn't specify NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
anymore. Removing the NOT NULL part solves the problem (and it's implied
by PRIMARY KEY anyway), however all major databases allow that syntax
(and upto the last release Postgresql did too), so I'd like to see it
added back.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a

Try to create this table:

CREATE TABLE Notes (
Id INT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
Text VARCHAR(1024) NOT NULL
);

There is another problem with the regression tests: If the user running the
tests has a .psqlrc file all regression tests fail, because commands from
that file are echoed to the result file. Additionally, it a transaction
is started from that file, regression tests fail, because they include tests
for error cases and a transaction needs to be aborted after an error.

A possible solution would probably be to add a flag to psql that inhibits
reading the .psqlrc file and using that flag with the regression tests.

On a related note (not a bug of course ;))... would it be possible to add
some option to psql (or even libpq?) to always keep a transaction active?

Bye, Rolf