ODBC and BLOBs

From: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: ODBC and BLOBs
Date: 2000-01-30 14:49:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I am looking for a way to import data from a Macintosh FileMaker Pro database
into PostgreSQL. If I just use the text mode export feature in FileMaker, I'll
lose all the multimedia data, i.e. images and Quicktime clips.

My thinking was that I might use the Win32 version of FileMaker and the Insight
Windows ODBC driver to get the BLOBs into PostgreSQL. This sounds a wee bit like
a long shot, since I don't know whether

a) FileMaker can export large objects even if both the ODBC driver and the DBMS
properly support it

b) the Insight driver will handle it (the FAQ on the Insight page mentions
some support for large objects but also says that the support within
PostgreSQL is lacking in functionality)

c) this will be very useful, given the caveat on the Insight page as to the
functionality of BLOBs in PostgreSQL

I cannot just try this because I don't have the Win32 version of FileMaker
(which is not exactly cheap).

I am wondering whether anyone has an opinion on and/or experience with this
problem or a similar issue, or any ideas as to how to go about solving this
problem in a completely different way.

Any suggestions are welcome.

- Frank