Re: [HACKERS] Copyright

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Copyright
Date: 2000-01-29 09:42:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 04:31:55PM +1100, Philip Warner wrote:
> This depends on the definition of open source; I think Netscape is
> OpenSource these days, but I doubt if anyone would be allowed to take the

The new version 5 code yes. The old version 4 is just given away for free.

> sources and create "Petscape: The Dog's Browser". But, as far as I know, I
> could go away tomorrow with the PostgreSQL sources and create "Mostgress",
> so long as I did not try to sell it. AFAIK, I might even get away with
> selling it, but it's not really the point.

Yes, you can sell Mostgress. That's one of the problems with a BSD type
license. That's why may use GPL for there open source projects.

> What matters is that it remains open, free, and modifyable by anyone, for
> any purpose.

The source as it is now will remain open, free and modifyable. If someone
forsk its own version that's a different matter. But ours remains open.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes | Go SF 49ers!
Th.-Heuss-Str. 61, D-41812 Erkelenz | Go Rhein Fire!