Re: [SQL] Duplicate tuples with unique index

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se>, Patrik Kudo <kudo(at)partitur(dot)se>, "pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] Duplicate tuples with unique index
Date: 2000-01-26 05:43:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Bruce thinks that the pg_upgrade script will ensure that the system-
> table tuples are all in frozen states (by VACUUMing them). I don't
> trust it worth a dime, myself. Maybe it will work, but it hasn't been
> proven in the field. So, if you'd like to try it, by all means do so
> --- but make a pg_dump backup first! And let us know whether you have
> problems or not!

I see what you are saying. If a table created as part of the new
pg_dump schema create matches a transaction that aborted in the old
database, the table would be invalid. However, as you mentioned, once
the tuple is marked as committed/rolled back, it doesn't consult.

Basically, I was surprised pg_upgrade worked at all in any of the
releases. It seems too good to be true. However, I have received very
few problem reports about its use, and it does get used.