Join-Question

From: "Dorthe Luebbert" <dorthe(at)luebbert(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: luebbert(at)globalpark(dot)de
Subject: Join-Question
Date: 2000-01-23 18:38:55
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I have a problem retrieving information from serveral
different tables.

For example:

I have three tables:

Table 1 contains that person X has the hobby nr. 1, person 2 has
hobby nr 42 etc (fields: person_id, hobby_nr)
Table 2: Hobby nr 1 is "soccer", hobby nr 2 is "jazz" (fields:
hobby_nr, hobby_text) Table 3 contains the first and last name for
the persons in table nr 1 (fields person_id, first_name, last_name).

Now I want to find out for example the following:

If someone looks for a hobby, find out the first and last name of
those who like hobby nr 1. If someone does not look for hobby, just
print out all the names in the database.

In MySQL I would do something like a LEFT JOIN, wouldn´t I? But in
Postgres I could not find anything about left or right joins. Any
idea how to solve this problem??

Thanx so much for your help

Dorthe