Re: UPDATE keyword

From: Rene Pijlman <rpijlman(at)spamcop(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UPDATE keyword
Date: 2001-05-26 08:56:01
Lists: pgsql-general

ianh(at)healthdept(dot)co(dot)pierce(dot)wa(dot)us ("Ian Harding") schreef:
>UPDATE mytable SET myfield = myfield WHERE...
>to fire an update trigger, and executing only the code in that
>trigger surrounded by UPDATE(myfield).

So you update a field by not changing its value, to execute a piece of
code that has nothing to do with the field and the value :-)

>Is there an easy way to duplicate this, or should I work around it?

Isn't it easier (and more poratble) to add a dummy field to the table?
Then you can do:

UPDATE mytable
SET dummy = 1 - dummy
WHERE ...

to execute the piece of code that responds to an update of 'dummy'.

Regards,
René Pijlman

http://www.applinet.nl