Re: Civility of core/hackers group

From: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Civility of core/hackers group
Date: 2002-04-30 02:38:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Wrote a rather long message first time through. Anyway, basic problem
is the major tickmarks on the next release.

SMPng, KSEs, and various security overhauls are touching many portions
of the sourcecode in a single shot. Normal development since the
project started has been fairly isolated. So theres a bit of a
headache with people committing where they normally wouldn't, but
waiting for due process could take forever (commits across 4 or 5
different maintainers sections). So, after the big commits, the
maintainers do bug triage.

All in all, it's working rather well. A ton of progress has been made
and v5 release will be rather nice.

It'd be kinda like PostgreSQL implementing a fully object based
storage mechanism and interface, going threaded, and replacing node
trees with something else for v7.3. Once you start one, might as well
do the others since you hit most of the code anyway. With 3 or 4
people doing that it can be done. Getting 100+ comitters (not to
mention those sending in patches) to work along side that mess and you
can see why Jordan is tired of baby sitting.

Can't blame him. I think he had the most fun when he was simply
coming up with brilliant ideas like the ports tree. I still think he
has a few ideas left. Hopefully this will allow him the time to
implement -- probably on Darwin, but if it's good it'll float to <name
project here> shortly after.
--
Rod