Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, hlinnaka <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?
Date: 2019-11-22 12:21:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-11-05 22:16, Robert Haas wrote:
> First, I'd like to restate my understanding of the problem just to see
> whether I've got the right idea and whether we're all on the same
> page. When wal_level=minimal, we sometimes try to skip WAL logging on
> newly-created relations in favor of fsync-ing the relation at commit
> time.

How useful is this behavior, relative to all the effort required?

Even if the benefit is significant, how many users can accept running
with wal_level=minimal and thus without replication or efficient backups?

Is there perhaps an alternative approach involving unlogged tables to
get a similar performance benefit?