About pgScript syntax

From: "Mickael Deloison" <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: About pgScript syntax
Date: 2008-06-25 09:08:15
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi pgAdmin hackers,

I am about to release a standalone version of pgScript. The final goal
is to integrate pgScript into pgAdmin.

At first (in my Google Summer of Code proposal) I was supposed to
allow users to choose either a C-based syntax or a T-SQL-based syntax.
I implemented both. But I cannot maintain both of them. This explains
why pgScript-0.1.5.tar.gz is based on a C syntax and
pgScript-0.2.1.tar.gz is based on a T-SQL syntax.
(Those tarballs are available here:
http://pgscript.projects.postgresql.org/pgscript)

Therefore here is what I plan to do:

- I plan to completely leave the C syntax, which I have done for 1
week 1/2 now. At least my Google Summer of Code could evaluate me and
say "all right he did it, it works". Because implementing pre and post
operations was not an easy task.

- I plan to focus on a T-SQL syntax because:
* It is closer to the SQL spirit,
* It is simpler so less chances of bugs and easier to document
for end-users,
* Even if it is simpler, it provides the same functionalities as
the C syntax,
* C syntax highlighting would be a mess in pgAdmin, with a T-SQL
syntax this is just some more keywords to highlight.

For a comparison between the two languages, here are files from the
pgScript integration test suite:
http://pgscript.projects.postgresql.org/languages

I hope you are fine with this. I guess Dave is, because we discussed
that during my Google Summer of Code application ;).
If you have any remarks, please let me know.

Best regards,
Mickael