Re: Postgres 11 release notes

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 11 release notes
Date: 2018-10-05 19:28:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 9/27/18 9:21 PM, Amit Langote wrote:
> On 2018/09/27 23:24, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> On 2018-Sep-27, Amit Langote wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, but the following of your proposed text
>>> needs to be updated a bit:
>>>
>>> + <listitem>
>>> + <para>
>>> + Having a "default" partition for storing data that does not match a
>>> + partition key
>>> + </para>
>>> + </listitem>
>>>
>>> I think "does not match a partition key" is not accurate. Description of
>>> default partitions further below in the release notes says this:
>>>
>>> "The default partition can store rows that don't match any of the other
>>> defined partitions, and is searched accordingly."
>>>
>>> So, we could perhaps write it as:
>>>
>>> Having a "default" partition for storing data that does not match any of
>>> the remaining partitions
>>
>> Yeah, I agree that "a partition key" is not the right term to use there
>> (and that term is used in the press release text also). However I don't
>> think "remaining" is the right word there either, because it sounds as
>> if you're removing something.
>>
>> For the Spanish translation of the press release, we ended up using the
>> equivalent of "for the data that does not match any other partition".
>
> Yeah, "any other partition" is what the existing description uses too, so:
>
> Having a "default" partition for storing data that does not match any
> other partition

Sorry for the slow turnaround on this. Excellent suggestion. I have
updated the patches, please see attached.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Updates-to-major-improvements-section-of-release-not.patch text/plain 3.5 KB
0002-Remove-or-modify-placeholders-for-v11-release-notes.patch text/plain 2.4 KB