Re: Making all nbtree entries unique by having heap TIDs participate in comparisons

From: Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Making all nbtree entries unique by having heap TIDs participate in comparisons
Date: 2018-11-04 03:52:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03.11.2018 5:00, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> The DESC heap TID sort order thing probably needs to go. I'll probably
> have to go fix the regression test failures that occur when ASC heap
> TID order is used. (Technically those failures are a pre-existing
> problem, a problem that I mask by using DESC order...which is weird.
> The problem is masked in the master branch by accidental behaviors
> around nbtree duplicates, which is something that deserves to die.
> DESC order is closer to the accidental current behavior.)

I applied your patches at top of master. After tests corrections
(related to TID ordering in index relations DROP...CASCADE operation)
'make check-world' passed successfully many times.
In the case of 'create view' regression test - 'drop cascades to 62
other objects' problem - I verify an Álvaro Herrera hypothesis [1] and
it is true. You can verify it by tracking the
object_address_present_add_flags() routine return value.
Some doubts, however, may be regarding the 'triggers' test.
May you specify the test failures do you mean?

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180504022601.fflymidf7eoencb2%40alvherre.pgsql

--
Andrey Lepikhov