Re: Old Postgresql version on i7-1165g7

From: Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Old Postgresql version on i7-1165g7
Date: 2021-04-18 20:29:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane писал 2021-04-13 17:45:
> Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
>> On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 04:28:25PM +0300, Yura Sokolov wrote:
>>> Occasinally I found I'm not able to `make check` old Postgresql
>>> versions.
>
>>> I've bisected between REL_11_0 and "Rename pg_rewind's
>>> copy_file_range()"
>>> and
>>> found 372728b0d49552641f0ea83d9d2e08817de038fa
>>> This is first commit where `make check` doesn't fail during initdb on
>>> my
>>> machine.
>
>> This doesn't make much sense or help much, since 372728b doesn't
>> actually
>> change the catalogs, or any .c file.
>
> It could make sense if some part of the toolchain that was previously
> used to generate postgres.bki doesn't work right on that machine.
> Overall though I'd have thought that 372728b would increase not
> decrease our toolchain footprint. It also seems unlikely that a
> recent Ubuntu release would contain toolchain bugs that we hadn't
> already heard about.
>
>> You used make clean too, right ?
>
> Really, when bisecting, you need to use "make distclean" or even
> "git clean -dfx" between steps, or you may get bogus results,
> because our makefiles aren't that great about tracking dependencies,
> especially when you move backwards in the history.
>
> So perhaps a more plausible theory is that this bisection result
> is wrong because you weren't careful enough.
>
> regards, tom lane

Sorry for missing mail for a week.

I believe I cleaned before each step since I'm building in external
directory
and cleanup is just `rm * -r`.

But I'll repeat bisecting tomorrow to be sure.

I don't think it is really PostgreSQL or toolchain bug. I believe it is
some
corner case that were changed in new Intel CPU.

With regards,
Yura Sokolov.