Compiling PostgreSQL 8.2 on Windows using msvc2k5

From: "Marcelo de Moraes Serpa" <celoserpa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Compiling PostgreSQL 8.2 on Windows using msvc2k5
Date: 2007-04-26 20:07:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello!

I'd like to learn more about PostgreSQL (8.x) internal architecture so as to
build C extensions and Stored Procedures in C. I think that I nice way to
start is trying to compile PostgreSQL from the source. I'm on Windows XP
PRO. I've found this article:
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/x19444.html. I've downloaded
all the dependencies and have put them on "C:\prog\pgsql\depend" (I
discovered the default path was this the first time the compiler complained
about missing libs. Didn't find a way to change this path though.)

I have gone to /src/tools/msvc and ran build. However, I still receive tons
of errors and warnings.

My main doubt here is about the dependencies. I'm not used to the process of
compiling third party source code. I've checked out the cvs to get the
source rather than getting the source somewhere else. Does this cvs release
need all the dependencies listed on the article above or there is something
that is optional? Is there an easier way to get all these dependencies? I
didn't find instructions on where to put them (I discovered by accident that
the compiler expected them to be on "C:\prog\pgsql\depend").

Note: I had to modify the pgbison.bat (commented the part where it checks
for the version 1.875) so it would run bison over the .y files.).

If anyone could put me on the right direction I would be grateful!