hint unique result fro union

From: "Matteo Bertini" <matteob(at)naufraghi(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: hint unique result fro union
Date: 2006-08-16 15:23:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all!

I'm quite new to pg, but I'm using it quite a lot in the last few monts.

Deeping in new features, I found a question: is it possible to hint an
unique result from a select?

Mainly, thinking about partitions, I'd like to create a small, frequently
accessed partition and a big, rarely accessed partition.

I'd like to hint pg to stop the query on the parent partition at the first
found item (and so hint not to analyze all the childs), because I know the
index I'm using is unique.

Possible? Usefull?

Thanks,
Matteo Bertini