VB ODBC connection to Postgresql, DAO,ADO,RDO,DSN???

From: Typing80wpm(at)aol(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: VB ODBC connection to Postgresql, DAO,ADO,RDO,DSN???
Date: 2005-04-30 03:09:44
Lists: pgsql-general

I was very pleased today, to be successful in connecting to the windows
postgresql server across our simple p2p connection. (It all had to do with
turning off the windows fire wall, after folks here helped me with the .conf ip
address settings, and listening). What is nice is that I have sygate free fire
wall, which simply pops up and asks me if I want to allow the postgres
connecting activity. So I may connect and still have a firewall.

Now, the next phase of my problem, to make something useful happen. I can
connect like a breeze with rekall, and edit tables, BUT, I havent the foggiest
notion how to write a python script in rekall to do what I really want to do
with my tables.

I dont really understand how rekall will help folks, if they dont have demo
examples to do the sort of thing i am attempting.

IF, we had money at work, and could afford Access, then I think I would be
all set, because I see how I can do a lot in Access VBA. But we cant afford to
get it at work. I happen to have it at home, because it came with my Dell.

Now I DO have a copy of Visual Basic 6.x and I can easily connect to
Postgres with the application wizard, and data aware controls. But what I really
want to be able to do is to have a simple form, with a button, and be able,
within the script of that button, to do sql passthrough to postgres, and then
manipulate the rows returned to me within the VBA.

BUT, it is very hard for me to discover the precise grammar for establishing
such a simple connection. Below, I am posting what I have collected from
google of snippets which SEEM like the might do what I want.... But if anyone
has a working examle for me, I would be most grateful. Or if you know an
easy way for me to do what I want in some kind of Pearl for windows. I dont
need a form painter with navigation buttons. What I need is a script that I
can put into a look, to look for a certain value in a table,..... wait for a
few seconds, look again, and when it FINDS that row with that field value,...
then do some things, delete that record or mark it somehow... and go back into
more waiting and looking, until the next row/field value appears. It could
be selecting on a very small table with just a few rows. THe idea is that
another workstation would add a row to the table which would cause THIS
workstation to read it, and display something on the screen. So... take a look
below, and you will see the sort of thing I am trying to do.

I think if I had Powerbasic or Realbasic, then perhaps I could more easily
do what I want, but I just dont have the money right now to run out and buy a
lot of things. I also have Visual FOxpro version 5, and I thought I could
work with that, but, it is having trouble connecting to postgres via odbc...

- Thanks
--------------------------=========snippets of VB code

_http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2003-07/msg00041.php_
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2003-07/msg00041.php)

Sub PreConnect(strUserName As String, strPassword As String,
strDatabase As String)

Dim wrkRemote As Workspace, dbsRemote As Database
Dim strConnect As String

strConnect = "ODBC;DSN=PostgreSQL;DATABASE=" + strDatabase

+
";SERVER=pgserver;PORT=5432;UID=" + strUserName + ";PWD=" +
strPassword +
";READONLY=0;PROTOCOL=6.4;FAKEOIDINDEX=0;SHOWOIDCOLUMN=

0;ROWVERSIONING=0;SHOWSYSTEMTABLES=1;CONNSETTINGS="

Set wrkRemote = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)
Set dbsRemote = wrkRemote.OpenDatabase("", False, False,

strConnect)
dbsRemote.Close ' Close database but keep connection.

End Sub

_http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dn_
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dn)

vbpj00/html/sqlado.asp

While Not Adodc1.Recordset.EOF
Debug.Print Adodc1.Recordset!company
Adodc1.Recordset.MoveNext
Wend

Dim m_connect as new adodb.connection

M_connect.connectionstring = "File Name c:\myfolder\mydata.mdb"

M_connect.open

+++++
Dim cn as New ADODB.Connection
Dim rs as New ADODB.Recordset

'Open the connection
cn.Open "DSN=PostgreSQL;UID=dave;PWD=password;"

'Open the recordset
rs.Open "SELECT relname FROM pg_class", cn

'Loop though the recordset print the results
While Not rs.EOF
Debug.Print rs!relname
rs.MoveNext
Wend

'Cleanup
If rs.State <> adStateClosed Then rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing
If cn.State <> adStateClosed Then cn.Close
Set cn = Nothing

++++++++++++++
Dim m_connect as new adodb.connection
Dim db As new adodb.connection
Set db = New Connection
db.CursorLocation = adUseClient
db.Open

"PROVIDER=MSDASQL;dsn=PostgreSQL;uid=neil;pwd=password;data

base=bpsimple;"

Set adoPrimaryRS = New Recordset
adoPrimaryRS.Open "select

customer_id,title,fname,lname,addressline,town,zipcode,phone from

customer Order by fname", db, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

'Loop though the recordset print the results
While Not adoPrimaryRS.EOF
Debug.Print adoPrimaryRS!lname
adoPrimaryRS.MoveNext
Wend

Private Sub adoPrimaryRS_MoveComplete(ByVal adReason As

ADODB.EventReasonEnum, ByVal pError As ADODB.Error, adStatus As

ADODB.EventStatusEnum, ByVal pRecordset As ADODB.Recordset)
'This will display the current record position for this recordset
lblStatus.Caption = "Record: " &

CStr(adoPrimaryRS.AbsolutePosition)
End Sub

Private Sub adoPrimaryRS_WillChangeRecord(ByVal adReason As

ADODB.EventReasonEnum, ByVal cRecords As Long, adStatus As

ADODB.EventStatusEnum, ByVal pRecordset As ADODB.Recordset)
'This is where you put validation code
'This event gets called when the following actions occur
Dim bCancel As Boolean

Private Sub cmdAdd_Click()
On Error GoTo AddErr
With adoPrimaryRS
If Not (.BOF And .EOF) Then
mvBookMark = .Bookmark
End If
.AddNew
lblStatus.Caption = "Add record"
mbAddNewFlag = True
SetButtons False
End With

Exit Sub
AddErr:
MsgBox Err.Description
End Sub

Private Sub cmdDelete_Click()
On Error GoTo DeleteErr
With adoPrimaryRS
.MoveNext
If .EOF Then .MoveLast
End With
Exit Sub

Private Sub cmdRefresh_Click()
'This is only needed for multi user apps
On Error GoTo RefreshErr
adoPrimaryRS.Requery
Exit Sub
RefreshErr:
MsgBox Err.Description
End Sub

Private Sub cmdEdit_Click()
On Error GoTo EditErr

lblStatus.Caption = "Edit record"
mbEditFlag = True
SetButtons False
Exit Sub

EditErr:
MsgBox Err.Description
End Sub
Private Sub cmdCancel_Click()
On Error Resume Next

SetButtons True
mbEditFlag = False
mbAddNewFlag = False
adoPrimaryRS.CancelUpdate
If mvBookMark > 0 Then
adoPrimaryRS.Bookmark = mvBookMark
Else
adoPrimaryRS.MoveFirst
End If
mbDataChanged = False

End Sub

Private Sub cmdUpdate_Click()
On Error GoTo UpdateErr

adoPrimaryRS.UpdateBatch adAffectAll

If mbAddNewFlag Then
adoPrimaryRS.MoveLast 'move to the new record
End If

mbEditFlag = False
mbAddNewFlag = False
SetButtons True
mbDataChanged = False

Exit Sub
UpdateErr:
MsgBox Err.Description
End Sub

Private Sub cmdClose_Click()
Unload Me
End Sub

Private Sub cmdFirst_Click()
On Error GoTo GoFirstError

adoPrimaryRS.MoveFirst

adoPrimaryRS.MoveLast

If Not adoPrimaryRS.EOF Then adoPrimaryRS.MoveNext
If adoPrimaryRS.EOF And adoPrimaryRS.RecordCount > 0 Then
Beep
'moved off the end so go back
adoPrimaryRS.MoveLast
End If

If Not adoPrimaryRS.BOF Then adoPrimaryRS.MovePrevious
If adoPrimaryRS.BOF And adoPrimaryRS.RecordCount > 0 Then
Beep
'moved off the end so go back
adoPrimaryRS.MoveFirst
End If