nuderstanding 'explain analyse'

From: Alexandre Leclerc <alexandre(dot)leclerc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PERFORM <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: nuderstanding 'explain analyse'
Date: 2004-11-16 21:11:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello,

I build two SELECT queries, and in one I used COALESCE with a CASE,
and in the second one I used only CASE statements.

When analysing, I'm getting the exact same result, except the cost.
(For now I have so few data that the results are too fragmented.

If the plans for both queries are exactly the same, should I assume
that the cost will also be the same?

Thanks for any help.
--
Alexandre Leclerc