Re: Reporting xmin from VACUUMs

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reporting xmin from VACUUMs
Date: 2017-02-17 19:00:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/15/17 12:05 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
>> ISTR previous discussion of allowing more stats files; if that happened
>> I think having stats that were dedicated to (auto)vacuum would be very
>> useful. That's clearly a lot more work though.
>
> What?

There's a bunch of information reported by vacuum logging but not in
pg_stat*, such as all-visible/frozen skipping, unable to get cleanup
lock, last freeze scan, times autovac has been interrupted. There's been
resistance in the past to further bloating the existing stats files, but
if we allowed more than one stats file per database that bloat would be
less of a concern (since vacuum stats will see far less update traffic
than the main relation stats).
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)